Sunday, April 12, 2009

That Gav'st A Son

A HYMN TO GOD THE FATHER

Hear me, O God!
A broken heart
Is my best part:
Use still thy rod
That I may prove
Therein, thy Love.

If thou hadst not
Been stern to me,
But left me free,
I had forgot
Myself and thee.

For sin's so sweet,
As minds ill bent
Rarely repent,
Until they meet
Their punishment.

Who more can crave
Than thou hast done:
That gav'st a Son
To free a slave?
First made of nought;
With All since bought.

Sin, Death, and Hell,
His glorious Name
Quite overcame,
Yet I rebel
And slight the same.

But, I'll come in,
Before my loss
Me farther toss,
As sure to win,
Under his Cross.


Ben Johnson


Blessed Easter, everyone!

3 comments:

The Masked Badger said...

You're back!

Only last night I was wondering how to check you were OK.

Phew!

Rosa said...

Great selection; very moving.

Happy Easter, Doug!

Cynthia Hallen said...

Thank you for the poem by Jonson. I went to Israel in March, and Easter will never be the same again.