Sunday, November 23, 2008

Who Rouses Us From Sleep

Then he said to them, "Suppose one of you has a friend, and he goes to him at midnight and says, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, because a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him.'
"Then the one inside answers, 'Don't bother me. The door is already locked, and my children are with me in bed. I can't get up and give you anything.' I tell you, though he will not get up and give him the bread because he is his friend, yet because of the man's boldness he will get up and give him as much as he needs.
Jesus, in Luke 11

"From this the Lord would have us understand that if one who was asleep could be constrained to give, even in spite of himself, and after having been disturbed by the person who asked him, how much more kindly will he give who never sleeps, but who rouses us from sleep that we may ask him!"
Augustine, from Augustine on Prayer

3 comments:

Devika Jyothi said...

Hi Doug!

Nice one...
perhaps, my understanding of kindness started with seeing my father lose his sleep for workers...

He was a communist, and a trade union leader...was a teacher in his early years, then a lawyer and then left for Politics :)

just a sharing..

wishes!
devika

the title has a typo "Sleep"

The Masked Badger said...

Thanks Doug!

BUT for some reason I feel as if Dr Suess wrote the title for this post...

Doug P. Baker said...

Thanks, Devika and Badger, he must have snuck in while my back was turned.